Sunday, April 4, 2010

Craig's Birthday in Seattle

On Tuesday, we had a fun surprise birthday dinner for Craig at Red Robin (Loni, thanks for your great idea). He thought we were going there for just the two of us to use his "birthday coupon" for a free burger. But when we got there, our awesome friends were already at the table to greet him with a surprise "Happy Birthday!" He was really surprised and we had a great time hanging out with everyone except for the broken glass incident. Sam, I hope your hand is feeling better :).

For Craig's actual birthday we headed up north to Seattle to celebrate. We got to the hotel late Thursday night, then spent the whole next day exploring the city. Here's Craig ready to open his birthday loot.
We hit up Pike's Place first thing in the morning. We didn't realize that it doesn't open until 10 so we had a little bit of time to kill before all of the vendors showed up. But what a fun place!
Here is the legendary "Wall of Gum." I saw this on the travel channel one time a long time ago and completely forgot that it was in Seattle until we saw a sign for it at a bus stop. Man was that a lot of gum. Craig was really sad that we weren't chewing any so that we could make our contribution.

We took a short little Harbor Cruise around the Puget Sound that told all about the buildings and the history of Seattle. It was a lot of fun, even with all of the wind!
The aquarium was fun too! My favorite part were the hands on pools where you could touch all of the star fish and anemones in the freezing cold water. Then Craig got busted for moving a starfish.

We debated about going to the top of the space needle, but I am so glad that we did! It took only 41 seconds for the elevator to get to the top, and it was a gorgeous 360 degree view. It felt kind of weird in the room because the floor always felt like it was moving (I think because of the rotating restaurant below). And It was so so so windy on the outside deck. They even closed the doors for a little while because it was too windy for people to go outside. But I totally recommend going to the top at least once!
We got multiple recommendations for a burger place called Red Mill, so of course we had to go. Once we saw how crowded it was, we knew it was going to be delicious and it was!
I think that the Fremont Troll might have been one of my favorite parts of Seattle. It was just so unique. We weren't really sure where we were going and then boom - out of nowhere there is this super huge, super creepy, troll coming out of the ground under the bridge. This was our last stop before heading back to Portland after a great time in Seattle.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

WOW you two!! What a fun birthday!! The gum wall was impressive! I never knew about it, but now I do!:) What a fun time together! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRAIG!!

Loni said...

Sounds like you two had a great time! Tell Craig Happy Belated Birthday! Brandon and I love Seattle too! In fact we are going to be there in two weeks before we fly out to Maui. You gave us some good ideas of things to do while we're there, THANKS!

The Nichols Family said...

That's fun! With all the time that I lived in Seattle I'm suprised at some of the things you and Craig saw that I didn't even know existed in Washington.

Dallin-Kristen Deuel said...

Looks like tons of fun. You guys always manage to find cool things to do. Happy late birthday Craig! We miss you guys!

The Nichols Family said...

Hey Becky! Thanks for your comment. I tried to call you yesturday, but the phone number I have didn't work. Did you change you number? - Marie