Sunday, September 13, 2009

One Year!

It's crazy how time flies when you get to spend everyday with the one you love. August 22nd was Craig and I's first anniversary! Can you believe it? We celebrated by taking a trip out to the Oregon coast. Having been in Portland for almost 4 months now, we hear all the time how wonderful and beautiful and gosh darn amazing the coast is and we decided that it was time to find out for ourselves. We really don't live all that far away from the coast of Oregon so it made the perfect weekend getaway.

Knowing that we were going to be visiting the filming location of Goonies, we made sure to prep ourselves ahead of time. We watched the movie two days before we left to make sure that we would recognize any key locations from the movie. (Yes I know this gives away how nerdy we really are). This sign was at the bottom of the hill where the main house in the movie is located. I was amazed at how many people were there! Apparently a "Goonie Tour" is not all that uncommon. Throughout our trip we also happened past the County Jail, the bowling alley where Chunk spills his milk shake, the museum where the dad works, and the cafe where the maid almost gets run over by the cop cars. We also found out while we were there that Astoria is also the filming place of Kindergarten Cop. We will have to rent that one next, but we did see the school where it was filmed. Apparently the woman who was hired to paint a mural on the outside of the school for the movie loved Astoria so much that she picked up and moved there from LA and now commutes back and forth for work.

Our next stop was the Astoria Column which was built in 1926, but restored in 1995 and 2004 which cost was a total of 3 million dollars! Luckily, the restoration finished just a week before we got there. Lucky us! It really was magnificent to see all of the drawings that cover the entire column. There are 164 steps on the inside that lead to the top and they are worth the climb because the view is amazing! You can buy little wooden airplanes to throw from the top and when they catch the wind, they can fly for a long time. I think I clocked one at over 5 minutes!

After riding a trolley up and down the coast of Astoria and finding a place that had the best fresh fish and chips I have ever tasted, we visited Fort Stevens. It was a coastal fort that was active from the Civil War to World War II. It was really cool to be able to walk through all of the nooks and crannies of the huge fort. Craig decided it would be the ultimate paint ball location. Some of the rooms were really creepy though because they had absolutely no light that reached them and it was like walking in with a blindfold on. Neither of us went inside those rooms. Yikes.

On the beach just a little ways down from the fort, there's a really cool ship wreckage where you can walk around and climb on the remains of the ship. It's called the Peter Iredale and it wrecked in 1906, though Craig and I can't imagine how. It looks like it just sailed right onto the shore.

To end the day, we went to Cannon Beach, which I have decided that it is probably the most amazing place ever. The whole place is completely flat and rock free, and then out of nowhere there is this gigantic 235-foot tall monster. It's beautiful! You can walk up to it and see all of the starfish and clams that surround the whole thing. Earlier in the week before we left, I was told that when you go to Cannon Beach you are supposed to also go to Mo's. Apparently, "It's just what you do." It was pretty much all the way dark by the time that we got inside the restaurant, but we could just barely see haystack rock just right outside the window. And the food was delicious too! Fresh clam chowder in a bread bowl - Yum!

The next day we went to Cape Lookout in Tillamook. It is just the coolest blend of beach and forest. I loved how you could play in the water and build sand castles and then you turn around and you're in the forest. It was beautiful! And of course, what better way to end the trip than stop for the best ice cream ever? We found that the actual Tillamook Factory is not all that exciting, but it is worth it to go for the squeeky cheese samples and all of the flavors of ice cream that they have to choose from. We even brought some of the squeeky cheese home with us. If you have not tried it, I highly recommend it. It's food and entertainment in one!

Over all, I could not have asked for a better first anniversary. We both had a blast and I can't wait to spend many more anniversaries with my best friend!

1 comment:

The Nichols Family said...

Cool pictures! I especially liked the picture on your slide of Four Corners. That's the first time I have seen it.
Marie